By Peter Freund
This attention-grabbing booklet assembles human tales approximately physicists and mathematicians. Remarkably, those tales cluster round a few basic topics having to do with the interplay among scientists, and with the effect of historical occasions — corresponding to the appearance of fascism and communism within the 20th century — on scientists' habit. in brief, yet lucidly, a few of the appealing technological know-how that introduced those scientists jointly within the first position is explained.
Author's website: http://freund9.googlepages.com/peterfreundwritings.
- Einstein as soon as Removed
- The judgment of right and wrong of Physics
- The Language of God
- Oswald Teichmüller and Nazi Science
- Scientists in Politics
- Jews in technological know-how. The Backlash
- Stalin and the Quantum
- Oppenheimer, Hero or Antihero?
- On and rancid the Map: Romanian Mathematics
- A short heritage of Space
- as good as chapters on Richard Feynman, E C G Stueckelberg, Emmy Noether, Andrei Sakharov, and others
Readership: basically common readers, and especially theoretical physicists, mathematicians and excessive power experimental physicists.
Read or Download A Passion for Discovery PDF
Similar biographies & memoirs of scientists books
Even the gods of previous, within the wildest imaginings in their worshipers, by no means undertook such tremendous initiatives of world-wide measurement as these which Tesla tried and entire. -from bankruptcy OneFirst released in 1944 and lengthy a favourite of Tesla fanatics, it is a definitive biography of the fellow with out whom smooth civilization wouldn't exist.
Thorvald Nicolai Thiele used to be an excellent Danish researcher of the nineteenth Century. He used to be a professor of Astronomy on the college of Copenhagen and the founding father of Hafnia, the 1st Danish deepest coverage corporation. Thiele labored in astronomy, arithmetic, actuarial technological know-how, and statistics, his so much staggering contributions have been within the latter parts, the place his released paintings was once some distance prior to his time.
Quantity 34 of Geographers: Biobibliographical stories beneficial properties 8 essays that jointly display geographers' assorted scholarly engagement with the training in their topic. There are actual geographers (a Frenchman and an Englishman, either geomorphologists), a British ancient geographer, a French colonial geographer, a Russian explorer-naturalist of significant Asia and Tibet, a British-born yet long-time Australian resident and student of India, Pakistan, and the Pacific global, an American regionalist and eugenicist, and a Scots-born long-time American resident, one of many world's top Marxist geographers and concrete theorists.
Geographers is an annual number of stories on people who have made significant contributions to the advance of geography and geographical idea. topics are drawn from all classes and from all components of the area, and contain recognized names in addition to these much less popular, together with explorers, self reliant thinkers and students.
- Ladies in the Laboratory? American and British Women in Science, 1800-1900: A Survey of their Contributions to Research
- Oppenheimer's Choice: Reflections from Moral Philosophy (SUNY Series in Philosophy)
- Late Seventeenth Century Scientists: A Volume in The Commonwealth and International Library: Liberal Studies Division (The Commonwealth and international library. Education and education research)
- Men of Physics Lord Rayleigh–The Man and His Work: The Commonwealth and International Library: Selected Readings in Physics
- Ekco Sounds: How a Southend radio maker changed the world
Extra resources for A Passion for Discovery